In an attempt to reinvigorate my drive to work on game stuff, I’m doing a thing.
0. Anyone can participate (the “invitation” part comes later).
1. Pick one of your favorite video games.
2. Create an “analog” game that distills the essence of it, but…
3. Only include the guidelines for playing STAGE ONE or LEVEL ONE (whatever that is).
4. At the end of your rules, briefly describe how the players might create their own STAGE TWO+.
5. Fit everything onto the front and back of a single sheet of paper.
6. Do this by Sunday, November 6, linking it here.
A. I will read and give feedback on all submitted games. I will attempt to play some or all of them.
B. I will also tell the authors what additional work is needed before they will be invited to join a very short anthology (3-8 games?) called STAGE ONE, probably printed as a Scoutbook, which will be Kickstarted/Gogo’d when the booklet is completed (assuming enough people accept the invitations) and distributed at/near cost. Contributors get free copies and rights to their games forever.
C. Games who accept my invitations get played and edited hard, with compassion but little mercy. If we have too many games, we can either try to organize a second booklet or come up with some other plan.
D. This is indie games, so you can always give me the finger and do whatever else you want to with your work, at any time.
E. We all benefit from awesome, tight little games that are great for playing with new audiences.